Sunday, August 3, 2008

What A Day

Well, I got stung again. This time I was getting carts from the parking lot at the store and saw a bee buzzing around so I walked away as quickly as possible to no avail. It got me right behind the ear and it hurt like hell. I walked into the store and got my epipen from the Managers’ office, I keep one in his desk, and gave myself the shot.

I let someone know about what happened and went back into the office to sit down. As soon as I hit the chair I started shaking uncontrollably. This has never happened before and, as I was also sweating so much ,I started to hyperventilate. I couldn’t catch my breath for my life. I asked someone for some water and as they brought me the bottle I put it to my mouth and was shaking so much I think I chipped my tooth on the top of it. Our pharmacist brought me 50 mg. of Benedryl syrup and I drank that but couldn’t stop shaking. She told someone to call 911, as we weren’t sure if the shaking and loss of breath was from the Epinephrine or a reaction to the sting. You never want to take the chance so I can’t complain.

When EMS got there they asked me to get on the stretcher, and as I got up I remember asking Paul, our Grocery Manager, where I put my glasses. I kept feeling around the desk for them until I realized that I was wearing them. They helped me to the stretcher and as I was laying down on it I noticed that I was starting to cry. I don’t know why but the tears were rolling down my cheeks. I truly knew I was going to be all right but I was a bit more concerned than usual because like I said before, I’ve never had the shaking and sweating like this before.

Once in the ambulance, they hooked me up to a couple different drips. I have no idea what they were and started taking my vitals. I can’t explain the feeling of embarrassment I felt. I just felt so foolish about the whole thing. I know it’s not my fault but I couldn’t help but feel I could have avoided this whole thing somehow. I know the Benedryl was kicking in and my breathing started to get back to normal. And again, I knew I was going to be all right. They took me to the hospital and put me in a room. Let me say this about the EMS guys. Absolute professionals, they did a great job and made sure I was as comfortable as possible.

The concern in the hospital seemed to be why I was sweating so much. I was freezing but my shirt was drenched. They put some monitors on me and kept the drips going until they were sure I was ok. I got home and pretty much slept the day away.
It’s now the following morning and I still feel a little dizzy. I’m alright and I’m hoping the down feeling goes away soon. I’m working today and it’s Christmas Eve. Even though I’m Jewish it’s still one of my favorite days to work on. My next mission is to find a way to stay away from the bees. I’ll have to study up on getting my immunity system a little stronger against the venom. We’ll have to see what happens

No comments: