Sunday, August 3, 2008

That Good Old Time Religion

I saw this children’s toy for Christmas the other day. It was called “What Would God Want For Christmas”. I wanted to open it and see what it had to say but it was wrapped in plastic and I’m not the kind of guy that opens things up to see them just to put them back on the shelves. It did get me thinking though. I started thinking about all the different religions in the world, about how different each one is let alone how different those of the same faith see the “word of God”.

In the Christian faith alone there are so many different off shoots of the basic tenants of the faith that it’s impossible to identify them all. We are so quick to condemn people like David Koresh and Jim Jones, as any right minded individual should, but what about the Oral Roberts’ and Jim Bakers of the world?

I think the first two mentioned actually believed what they were doing, though there were obviously mental issues with both, I think they both truly believed they were doing God's work. In the cases of the televangelists mentioned, I am of the firm belief that they both belong in prison for the rest of their lives. To knowingly steal the dreams, let alone life savings, of those that you have somehow convinced to believe that you have that special pipeline to heaven if only they keep sending checks is unconscionable.

I remember watching television when I was a kid and on Sunday mornings all you would find were religious shows. I would see these people in the crowd that, looking at it now, I realize were getting something they felt they needed. Back then what they were getting was a spiritual uplifting and a moral lesson. With the advent of cable television that audience grew into anyone with cable and allowed these preachers to reach the easiest audience yet.

To go after the lowest common denominator makes great business sense but the idea that religion is a business is something we all should get angry about. The thought that these people were told by Oral Roberts that he would be “called home” if he didn’t raise eight million dollars is so anti any religion it should sicken us all. I find it amazing that it’s not criminal.

It’s not the belief in God itself that bothers me; it’s the organization of that belief that ruins it. How can something with such pure intent be not only destroyed by man but also bought into by others. My question is how is this extreme form of Christianity tolerated by us while we are so quick to judge extremists of other religions?

Yes, these other extremists are physically killing innocent people but is that as bad as destroying people both emotionally and financially. I know that sounds ridiculous to compare the two but I’m serious. If you’ve stolen the dreams of a man what’s left? And that’s what these thieves of the mind do, they steal dreams.

No comments: