Monday, July 26, 2010

A Friend Of The Highest Order

When I was in high school I became friends with a number of girls, one in particular became closer than most. Odds are it could have been much more if it weren’t for my shortcomings. We would have our good times and bad, by bad I mean times when I would simply stop talking to her for reasons that I’ve made a million different excuses for over the years, none that would really mean anything to anyone that had a brain in their head.

Every once in a while, after I moved away, we would connect and things would be good but, once again, my own insecurities would stop me from having any kind of relationship with her. I always wanted to be the great friend she wanted me to be but was always unable to be it. Again, nothing that she’d ever done, strictly my own issues.

What’s been really incredible is the fact that she’s never given up on me. When I moved to Florida and didn’t know a soul, I had some seriously down times. I called her one day and as soon as she picked up, she acted like we’d been talking for all the years I’d ignored this special friendship that I’d wanted yet denied for close to three decades. I’ve written before about looking for and finding a number of friends that I’d lost over the years. That wasn’t the case here. She never went anywhere, always right where I knew she’d be.

I’m sure there were times, over the years, that she could have used my friendship and I was nowhere to be found. Again, my own issues prevented me from being the friend I could have been and I will never be able to apologize enough for that. Here’s the cool thing: There has never been a time that she hasn’t answered the call when I’ve been on the other end of the line. Is there anyone out there that doesn’t need someone like that in his or her lives?

So, this is just a little tribute to someone who’s always understood the true meaning of friendship. I know my life is made a little bit easier every day just knowing she’s a phone call away for anything my skewed thought process desires. Thank you dear friend, you and your kindness have always meant more to me than you could ever imagine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! you made me cry! I don't cry easily... You too will always be in my life, no matter where we end up. What a tribute Kevin. Will you write my eulogy? Just kidding. Whats so funny about us is you live here and not far and you still haven't been to my house??? Your a beautiful friend and i'm so grateful that your in my life! have i told you i'm crazy about you?