Thursday, March 17, 2011

I Was 12

A 12 year old boy is put on a Greyhound bus to go visit a relative less than 100 miles away. While on this bus, events happen that, looking back some 38 years, seem to have had a major influence on this boys life. What happened on that bus has happened to thousands upon thousands of kids throughout time. The issue with this particular time is that this boy is me.

To say a sexual molestation took place would, to most people, be an untruth. To a 12-year-old child, it certainly wasn’t something he’d admit to even if it were. To a 50-year-old adult, looking back over all that time, I still have trouble figuring out how to label it. Nothing physically happened, aside from a hand consistently being placed on my knee. It was the words being spoken that still echo inside my head to this very day. If there’s such a thing as verbal molestation, well, I guess this might be the definition.

Being asked if I’d like this done to me, or how about that? Me, in a voice weakened by fear and drowning in tears, saying no to each query. “You’re so beautiful,” he’d say, over and over again. “Why don’t you let me just…?” Me, again unable to get the words out, for a complete lack of air in my lungs. I was 12 years old, you Bastard, 12 years old.

Over the years I’ve told a few people this story and I’m always reassured that it wasn’t my fault. Logically I know that. I also know that I didn’t have to sit in the window seat on a nearly empty bus, but that’s what 12 year olds do. I could have screamed and yelled. Maybe not. I don’t think my voice could have been heard by anyone, outside of my head.

I remember his face. I remember every line, every bump. I remember how his mustache had a bit more color on one side than the other. I remember how one eyelid was a little more closed than the other. I remember his dirty fingernails as his hand kept finding my knee as the verbal assault went on for what seemed like months to a 12 year old child.

I was chatting with a friend the other day about this and she asked if I still look for him. I couldn’t really answer. I’m absolutely convinced, even after all these years, that I’d recognize him. I’d like to think that I’d find him and hurt him somehow but we all know that I wouldn’t confront him in any way. He scared me like nothing has ever scared me before or since. After 38 years, he still has a hold on me on some level. He won. I fear intimacy. Every Shrink I’ve talked to about this has put a direct link to the two. Is it any wonder that holding hands is probably my favorite thing in the world? That’s what 12 year olds do. I was 12 years old once and because of this man, in many parts of my life, I still am. I was only 12 years old.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We hear these stories far too often. Is just terrible. So sorry you had to go through that. As much as it was so awful, I'm so glad he didn't do more.

Jen

alicia said...

The problem was, back then nobody warned us about stuff like that. Nobody told us kids what to do if someone acted inappropriately. We were too scared to get in trouble for mouthing off. We didn't know how incredibly NOT OK this behavior was..but we knew if was wrong.
So no, of course it's not your fault..and if you think about it, he didn't win at all...you said NO.
Good job Kev.

alicia said...

Nobody told us back then to be careful of this kind of behavior. We were more scared of getting in trouble for mouthing off or defying authority. So of course it's not your fault..but if you think about it, he didn't really win...you said NO. Good Job kid.

LibraryGirl62 said...

I was 10...more than verbal but less than "Full ON" ...it has had an impact that will reverberate through my entire life...what the hell...