Sunday, August 3, 2008

Adventures In Karaoke

Karaoke has always fascinated me. How can people get up in front of total strangers and sing? It’s really something else if you see someone with talent and almost painful if you see someone without it. I do have to give them props though. If you’ve got the guts to do it, and you are really bad at it, well, more power to you.

I went to a bar nearby recently to watch some people sing. It just so happened that they were having some sort of Elton John night. As I was sitting there I decided to order some Malibu on ice. As the night wore on I was feeling pretty good and started thinking more and more that I could sing just as well as they could. Hell, I know a million songs by this guy. Well the mixture of Malibu and the singing must have done something to me because I started looking at the list of songs they offered.

I found a number of songs that I knew well and thought I might actually get up and put my name on the list. I must have taken 20 minutes going back and forth between getting up and staying put. One of the advantages of going out by yourself is that there is no one there to put pressure on you to do something you don’t want to do. You know, no peer pressure. Well I ended up throwing my name onto their list with the song “Blues for Baby and Me”. I’d had four or five drinks and started feeling more and more confident. Hey, I could do this, I really could.

Well then the worst thing possible happened. They called my name. I actually thought I was going to have a heart attack. I sat still as a mouse, hoping they would think I went home or something. It seemed like hours but I’m sure it was more like 30 seconds and they called me again. I felt like sweat was just pouring off me.

I then did something I thought I’d never do. I stood up and started walking to the stage area. I was pretty numb from the Malibu but still nervous as could be. I got to the mike and asked for a barstool. There was no way I was going to be able to stand up much longer as my knees were knocking so loud I thought I could actually hear them. Once I was seated they started the music and all I could think of was what was I going to look at? There’s no way I’m looking into the crowd and the screen that shows the lyrics scared me. I was wondering what would happen if I was looking at it and they put up the wrong words. Oh god, the intro was getting to its end and they’re going to expect me to start singing. I don’t believe I have ever been as nervous in my life. I’m shaking right now writing about it.

The next thing I remember, I’m midway through the second verse. My eyes are shut and I hear nothing from the crowd. It was like I was completely alone. I hear the song but it doesn’t feel like I’m singing. I opened my eyes to peek and there’s maybe 30 or 40 people sitting there watching me. I think I messed up a word and started sweating like crazy. Man, why didn’t I bring my sunglasses? I’ve always been so good at hiding behind them. Now I’m at the last repeat of the chorus and it’s where the song gets a little forceful. I’ve sung this song in my car a million times and know that it’s hard for me to hit all the notes without my voice cracking. Here goes…

I don’t remember feeling anything during the entire song. I didn’t hear myself sing at all. I can only assume that I did an all right job as a few people came to the bar afterwards and said they liked it. I do remember thinking about the semantics of doing what I was doing the entire time. I know that I did do something I thought I’d never do. I’m kind of proud of that. I don’t believe I’ll ever do it again but who knows, enough Malibu and I’d have probably even danced.

No comments: