Monday, August 18, 2008

Rain O're Me

“Fend for yourself till you win, win the race. Then you can laugh in their face”.

I keep hearing that line in my head over and over again. It’s an old Peter Frampton lyric form a song I’ve known forever and I’ve never even given it a second thought. Today, for some reason, it’s playing like an AM radio top 40 hit. I’ve always enjoyed the laughing part it’s just the fending for myself that I always seem to have a problem with.

I wrote that previous paragraph yesterday afternoon at the airport on my way down here to Naples. I woke this morning and it was still buzzing around in my head. What’s up with that?

Well, I’m here. I went to the store and bought some food to last for a few days. The weather channel says things could get really windy and wet and the local channels are reporting all the school closings for tomorrow. They’re also saying it could come by here as a category one storm. Could get pretty hairy.

I went to the beach as soon as I woke up and just stood in the water. All kinds of birds and really small fish being real active. It’s pretty cool how they know what’s coming. I have my camera and binoculars with me and got pretty lost in my head while looking through the binoculars. A couple months ago I bought a really nice pair and I must have stood with them up to my eyes for a good 45 minutes or so. I would see what looked like a firefly through the glasses and follow it for a good while and not realize that it was hundreds of feet away. Strange thing to get exited about but this is me we’re talking about here.

It started raining while I was down there so I ran back to the car and put my stuff away. For reasons I don’t understand I ran back down to the water and stood in it, fully clothed, and let the rain kind of wash me off. My shorts and shirt were drenched and I couldn’t see because my glasses had all those drops on them. Any normal person would have gone back to the car but, again, this is me we’re discussing. I stood there for about 10 minutes until the rain stopped. It didn’t last long enough.

I was supposed to go out towards Miami for an interview but right when I was heading out the hotel door the guy called and rescheduled for Wednesday, weather permitting. It was just starting to rain again when he called so I ran up to the room, lost the suit threw on some shorts and headed down to the water again. This time I went out to Marco Island. Not surprisingly I was alone on the sand as the rain was kind of pelting me across my face. The wind wasn’t that bad as it’s just the beginning of the storm.

I stayed out until a police jeep came out and told me what an idiot I was and that they were closing the beaches. It’s really weird but I just want to be out there in the rain. Don’t misunderstand me here; I’m not planning on running out in the middle of the storm or anything like that. I just kind of want someone or something to yell at and the rain and gulf seem like something I can hold some kind of control over.

“Here by the sea and sand, nothin' ever goes as planned”. Another song playing on the ipod that just seems to fit

2 comments:

LibraryGirl62 said...

I totally get it. I LOVE rain and thunderstorms and walking in them is the best part. Standing next to a raging ocean~face to the wind~rain pelting~is like ..??? Words don't get it. And it has been passed to my kids. Rain is to be frolicked in~even as a teenager~during Charlie they tried to fly.

Anonymous said...

Good luck down there! Kevin and I flew out of Tampa a few years back during hurricane David, it was awesome! I remember going out to the beach as a kid on Long Island during hurricanes and we would wash our hair in the rain. Southern California has a lot to offer, but very boring weather.