Saturday, February 23, 2008

Right Place At The Right Time

At the beach pretty early today. I left my brothers around 6:30 am or so and got down here, after stopping for coffee, around 8:45. It’s so early that I have my beach chair with it’s back to the water as I want to face the sun. I figure I’ll sit here till around 11:00 or so then I’m meeting a friend for lunch. I think we’ll go to the “Olive Garden". Pretty high falutin I know but what the hell, you only live once.

I’m the only one with a little “camp-site” so far. Everyone else is out here this early only to walk or jog along the beach. Now why would you ruin a perfectly good day at the beach by doing anything but nothing?
I stopped reading my book and got the IPOD out and I think I’ll go stand in the water and listen to some music. I’ll put on “The Who”, “Who’s Next”. Pretty cool concept, hearing “Baba O’Riley” with your feet in the Gulf.

Something happened out there. I listened to the entire album while just watching the water and the things surrounding it. I had my feet in the sand at the waters edge and as the music played it was almost as if nature decided to put on a show just for me. The Sea Birds were diving for fish as if they heard the tunes blasting into my ears. They seemed to be hitting the water at the same time a heavy beat would be played on the drum. I really got into that for a while. I looked out into the distance and saw a few Dolphins bobbing up and down in the water. It all seemed so synchronized. It was mesmerizing. I closed my eyes.

I lost track of time and space as the next thing I noticed was the album ending and when I opened my eyes my shorts were soaked. I was so into this feeling of bliss that I didn’t even notice the waves hitting me and getting higher and higher onto my body. I also noticed a feeling of absolute serenity. I felt almost cleansed as I went back to the chair and started packing up to get going to meet my friend for lunch. I felt a little strange or confused. Almost a little shaky.

As I was standing out there it was as if in that very spot, on that piece of the gulf and at that very time I was meant to be there and nowhere else. It’s a pretty powerful feeling and as anyone who knows me can testify that’s a pretty strong statement for me to make.

No comments: