Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Friends Where You Can Find Em

I drove down to Detroit Metro airport last night and did one of those fly and drive things so I had a cheaper place to keep my car while on this little sabbatical. It’s really strange but I can never sleep well in a hotel yet I insist on staying in them as much as possible. You figure it out. Anyway, I was up all night fighting with the thermostat in the room (why is it so hot?) and never quite getting the pillows to feel right (why are they so hard?). I ended up taking out my current read and dove into that until I figured it was time to shower and get myself going.

The shower did me wonders as all my issues seemed to go down the drain along with whatever else washed off of me. After getting out I felt like I could finally sleep but I had to catch the shuttle in 45 minutes so that was surely out of the question. So I sat.

I always wonder about the chairs at the little table that are in hotels. Yes, the easy answer is for room service but I’ve been in numerous places that don’t offer room service and they still have the table. What’s it for? Maybe it’s for me, right now, as I wait for the time to go to the lobby to meet the shuttle. Maybe not, I don’t know. One of this places features, according to the little flyer in the room, is USA Today delivered to my door. I went to check but then realized it was only 3:30 and I don’t think such a fine, respectable paper could find it’s way to me that early. So I made coffee in the in room coffee maker and sat at my table.

It’s a nice table, a few scratches but a nice table. I guess we could be friends. Not too close cuz I have to leave in a few but friends. Well, maybe acquaintances because we’re only going to know each other for another few minutes and surely you’ll forget about me the moment I leave. Oh I’m sure you’ll be much closer to the next guy that comes along. He won’t put his suitcase on you like I did. Well I had to put it SOMEWHERE! Screw you. I’m leaving.

I should probably go back and apologize. Forget it, I’ll never see that bastard again. I’ll make it up to the next hotel room table I sit at. I think that’s what I’ll do. From now on, when staying in hotels, I’m gonna make time to sit at the table. Make it my little sitting place. Get to know it. Make us both comfortable with each other. What am I nuts? Yeah, probably

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, you're nuts.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you have lost your mind! Enjoy your trip, we'll be here when you return.
Love, Your sister
PS, stay away from my tables!