Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Good Day

So I went and bought myself a box of good cigars, two bottles of Desani water (only the best for old Kev) and I’m at my favorite beach in the continental United States, Barefoot Beach in Bonita Springs Florida.

It’s definitely season down here. The beach is more crowded than I’ve ever seen it. You can also tell it’s Florida. I’m the youngest person here save for the little kids with their Grandparents.

There’s a really cool looking Seagull about five feet from me. He keeps yelling at me then walking away. He then comes back and does it again. Sorry pal, I can’t understand what you’re saying. He keeps yelling at me so much that you’d think I was still married.

There’s a little kid playing behind me and I turn around to watch him putting sand in a plastic bucket and dumping it back out again. He does this over and over again. He’s having the time of his short life doing the most mundane thing and I feel a ping of jealousy. I ask him his name and he tells me Kevin. I tell him I knew it and when he asks me how I give my standard reply when I meet a little kid with my name, “ because all the cool guys are named Kevin.” He loves it and I have a new friend. Kevin asks me what I’m drawing and I tell him I’m writing a story. He asks me what it’s about and when I tell him that right now it’s about him, well let’s just say that I’ve made a REALLY good friend.

It’s relatively cloudy out but the sun peeks out on a semi regular basis. Being the genius I am I didn’t bring my hat down to the sand. I stopped at Target and bought one to protect my head and I’m sure it’s quite comfortable up in the car. I also break the cardinal rule about suntan lotion. I never use it. I’m fortunate to have the type of skin that doesn’t burn much and when it does it usually turns to tan in a day or two.

The seagull’s back and yelling at me again. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it. I won’t do it again. He’s not going away this time so I think I will. A pretty good day.

No comments: