Sunday, December 9, 2012

It's Just The Way It Is

I got into a rather long argument with an out of town friend last night. This is a friend that considers herself, "spiritual" and has a deep seeded belief in God. I, on the other hand, have never believed in anything other than what I can see, feel or touch. Anyway, what really set her off was when I told her that I wasn't into the idea that life is this amazing gift we've all been given. I told her that in all honesty, I'd like to return it and not get a refund. Well, if you know me at all, you know that once I find something that really bothers someone, I'm all over it. So, I did my thing of making her upset, just because I could, and we finished the conversation with her in a rather foul mood.

 Here's the thing though: I believe those things I stated above. I don't believe that life is some gift to be cherished. This isn't something new, I've been telling shrinks and friends I didn't want to be alive since I was 12 years old. That isn't to say that I'm going to commit suicide, not gonna happen. As I've stated several times, I'm way to big a wimp to ever do anything to hurt myself. I do, however, go to bed each night with the hope that I won't wake up. When I talk to anyone about this I always get this sad look or, if on the phone, words of comfort about how loved I am and things of that nature.

This is where folks have a hard time understanding me. I appreciate each and every one of you and the feelings are more than mutual. I do love you all and you're one of the many reasons I have never attempted to hurt myself. That being said, If given a choice at birth, I would have chosen not to be born. I have always believed that there are certain people that "life" just isn't for. I've also always believed I'm one of those people. I don't believe it's sad to feel this way. I've spent my entire, and I do mean entire, life not wanting to be alive.I've also spent my whole life being sad and depressed. I look at it as just the way it is. I truly believe that this is nothing to feel sorry for me about. It's just the way it is, the way I am.

 I was talking to Shrink about the issue I've had with passing out lately. I told her that I felt I blew my chance to be done with life. We talked about how there is no pain or knowledge of my passing out and, therefore, no pain or knowledge involved if I never woke up. She understands that I'm not walking on a cliff looking for a place to jump so it puts her in the category of those that really understand what it is I'm trying to say here.

 I've written before about those folks I know that have recently died or are ill with things that could very well cause their death. These situations truly break my heart. I also believe that I feel a twinge of jealousy simply because they want to live and if I were the one that got sick, I'd be alright with it. Please don't write or call telling me about this journey I'm on or tell me how God loves me. As much as most of you believe in this higher power, I'm just as convinced it doesn't exist. I don't look at this as something to be sad about, I just see it as the way it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This surprises me about you and it makes me sad, even though you don't want it to.

I'm happy that you have things in life that you enjoy, i.e., music, writing, Betty, and the people who care about you, one of whom, obviously, is me. I hope that these things, and others which I don't even know about, give you some measure of joy, because it seems like that's what you're missing on a fundamental level. I think "happiness" and "sadness" are the result of circumstances, but joy is something different - it's something constant which underlies any other feeling - positive or negative - and serves to keep us going.

I know I'm going against your rules, but I don't care. I care about you too much to not tell you how much I want joy for you. Life is for everyone it is given to, and you, sir, are no exception. I know you're seeing Shrink, and I'm glad. ❤