Friday, December 14, 2012

Even The Losers Get Lucky Sometimes

It's funny how many levels of loss there is in our lives. From the most inconsequential things to our greatest loves. You lose your keys or wallet. A little closer to home, in the "really doesn't matter" category, I seem to have misplaced my hair. We all know these things, in the grand scheme, truly mean little.

We lose things just by living. The innocence of a child is something we all admire. As the child gets older, through no fault of their own, that innocence slowly hardens as the bumps on the road of life take away a little of that incorruptibility, if you will. It's kind of an automatic process. Parents throughout history have called it growing up. Some accomplish it a little better than others, yet with a few exceptions, we all get there.

Unquestionably, the greatest loss is that of a loved one. The permanence of death brings an emptiness I've never understood how to fill. I miss my Grandfather, who died when I was 15, more and more each day and there are times I feel as if he passed away yesterday. Many have lost much more than I throughout their lives and I truly marvel at their ability to move on with their lives. Yes, I know, they have no choice, still, it's way above my ability to comprehend. It does make sense though. By that, I mean we all are destined to die. Nobody lives forever.

A type of loss that I've been subjected to over the last month or so is the loss of friends. Some close, some, I hardly knew. These losses are sometimes just as painful, to me, as losing someone close that had died. I understand I'm not the easiest guy to be around. I realize the effort it takes to be around someone as emotionally crippled as I am. Knowing these things doesn't make it any easier to someone like me. I always say to people how I know they think they have it bad, when dealing with me. I tell them they're fortunate that they can always go away. Me? I have to deal with me 24 hours a day. It sounds much funnier when stated out loud.

The bottom line is that I am who I am. My thoughts and emotions are the same as they've always been. I'm always being told that we choose who we are and we are the only ones that can change ourselves. Well, that may work for many of you but, try as I might, it doesn't for me. All I can really say is, if one is tired of my public whining, my constant anxiety over things that others find so difficult to understand or anything else I have always been so open about, well, I'm sorry. I have always been the first to admit that I'm way too honest about myself than I should be. If I knew how to turn that off, I would have as a child. If my writing is something you have found to wear thin, then stop reading. There really are very few out there that have had to deal with me in that state in person. I'm always amazed they have stuck around for so long.

I mourn the loss of these folks, truly. I will miss each and every one of them. I will also always cherish the time we spent as friends. I'd also like to let any of them know that I'll always be here. The yoyo of emotions will too. I guess, if we feel the worthiness, we have to accept the good with the bad. I will also say, as I've said before, I've always felt so fortunate to have you all in my life. However long you choose to stay.


No comments: