Saturday, July 24, 2010

This Songs Got No Title

Once in a while I get this feeling that I should be writing. It’s odd because nothing has happened, I’m not upset or going through any emotional crisis and I haven’t done anything that would warrant my need of putting things down on paper as it were. Be that as it may, right now, I feel the need to write.

Now, what to write about? That’s usually the easiest part of it for me. There used to be a time, once I picked a subject, that I’d start the piece and also research the subject at the same time. I don’t do that anymore. I think my style of writing has changed over time. I used to write a great deal about items in the news or social issues. I don’t do that as much as I used to, I guess I write more out of feelings now. You can’t really research feelings, you just let them pour out, I think. Most everything I write is spur of the moment kind of stuff. By that, I mean it just comes to me. I’ll be sitting in my chair, television on or music playing from my itunes library and something hits me. Either something that’s said on the tube or a song plays that gets me thinking. If it’s something that really hits me I’ll have a completed post in 15 minutes.

Recently, I’ve started playing golf. I find it, for the most part, incredibly frustrating. There are, however, moments of pure bliss and it’s those moments of bliss that make it worthwhile. Writing, to me, is kinda like the same thing. I’ll write something, and most times, I can’t bear the thought of admitting that I’m responsible for what I’m reading. There are, however, times when the keyboard gods are kind. I’ll sometimes see something that actually makes me proud. Once in a while I’ll find a sentence that gets to me. I’ll read it over and over again and just marvel at how well it works right where I put it. It’s like hitting a great tee shot on the golf course. I’ll just marvel at the beauty of it. it doesn’t happen very often but when it does, well, I get this feeling like I just may be on to something here. Let’s see if I can do the same thing on the next hole or the next paragraph. It sometimes happens and it’s a great feeling. It’s why I play the game, if you know what I mean.

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Oh, I hear ya' on this one, Kevin. For me, writing a great sentence is akin to hitting the lottery, or at least having my teriyaki salmon come out of the oven absolutely perfect.