Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Little Summertime Music

Went to another concert last night. Chicago and The Doobie Brothers. I went not expecting too much, never having been a big fan of the “Doobies”, and having seen Chicago a number of times over the years. I expected a nice show, nothing more, nothing less.

The Doobies opened and, while knowing most of the songs, I don’t think I’d know the names of too many of them. It was the first time I’d ever seen them and it was just ok for me. I didn’t dislike them, just nothing that grabbed me emotionally. That’s what I like in music, what grabs me and makes me feel, the emotional connection I get when hearing a certain song. I’ve never felt that way with these guys and got pretty much what I expected out of the gig.

I didn’t really know what to expect out of Chicago either. I hadn’t seen them in years and really didn’t think they’d do much more than play a number of their biggest hits in a radio like format and I’d go home feeling as if I’d got my moneys worth. I haven’t listened to a complete Chicago album since they released their seventh album around 35 years ago. Being the musical stuff shirt I am, I found nothing of any relevance in any of their stuff since. Obviously, the best-case scenario for me would be if they played a bunch of their old songs. They didn’t let me down.

Opening with “Make Me Smile” from their second album, they played the entire “suite” of songs including the hit, “Colour My World” while closing the song with the final chorus of “Make Me Smile” just as it is on the album. It was really well done and totally unexpected. I was happy to hear it and was even more pleased when their second song was “Dialogue” from their fifth album. another of my favorite songs of theirs. I don’t remember the order of songs for the rest of the show but they played a number of tunes from their first album: “Beginnings”, “25 or 6 to 4”, “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is” and a smoking version of “I’m A Man” all, from their first release, and a number of others from their early days.

They did play a number of the obligatory easy listening hits they had in the 80’s and 90’s and I could have done without them but painless enough I guess. All in all it was a pretty good show, much more than I expected. Back in the day, these guys were quite the groundbreaking act. The mixing of brass and rock could be heard by “Blood Sweat and Tears” but these guys were a real rock band/ Just as interested in the music as with the lyrics. Listen to their first couple albums, there’s some really nice instrumentals along with their hits. It was nice to see they hadn’t forgotten that, it seemed the crowd remembered too.

No comments: