Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Venting Away

I’m really not too hip on the protocol on how things are supposed to feel with this whole thing with Steve going on. I’ve been talking to a few people about it and I keep saying that I almost feel selfish. I mean, isn’t it only natural to see this whole thing as how it affects me? It has to be doesn’t it? I mean, when I see the world I see it through my eyes. No matter how hard I try to put myself in another’s place it just doesn’t work.

I’ve been talking to so many people about what’s happening and so many have offered an ear or shoulder but how do you even begin that conversation. Hi, I’m afraid my big brother may be dieing? This is my big brother! I’m finding myself, throughout the day, completely breathless. I’ll be at work doing something mundane and out of nowhere my eyes well up and I literally have to hold onto something until I can catch my breath.

I’ve always been able to just get in the car and drive whenever anything has been on my mind. Now, when I need that comfort most, I find the car to be my most feared enemy. Almost as soon as I pull out of my development I have to pull over because I just don’t think I have the strength to turn the steering wheel. Once on the road I can’t seem to get the music loud and hard enough. I no longer sing along to it, I scream. I scream so hard that I can barely talk when I arrive at whatever the destination may be. The hardest thing is going to work. It’s normally about a half hour drive. It’s been taking almost twice that now with the little stops I make. I actually had a policeman knock on my window this morning as I had pulled off the freeway to try to collect myself before moving on. After explaining my embarrassing moment to him he left and all I could do was bang my head on the steering wheel a couple times.

I don’t just feel empty, I feel there’s even less there than the emptiness. I simply can’t breathe. There’s nothing there to force the air. I slept on the couch down here in the living room last night, fully clothed, because I didn’t think I could make it upstairs. I don’t even want to tell you the adventure it was to get up the stairs this morning to shower and shave. It’s probably a good thing that I work because, odds are, I’d never leave the chair. I know this will pass but I almost feel as if I somehow deserve these feelings. I know, there’s no logic there and that’s what makes me know that I’ll get by.

I’ve written a couple times in the past about the child inside all of us. How age and circumstances are always taking swipes at that child. I’ve written about how these things are always chipping away at that kid. This is easily the biggest hit I’ve taken and all I can think is how will I ever bring that kid to life again. That child is the one true thing I’ve had with me for as long as I can remember and I don’t know how one goes on without him.

I understand that Steve is still here and there have been plenty of people that have had liver transplants and done very well with them. I, of course, hope that Steve has the same if not better results. I told Steve that I would gladly donate part of my liver to him and we’re both in the process of finding out our blood types to see if we’re a match. I didn’t offer this because I’m some kind of hero, there’s nothing noble here. Those that know me very, very well know the reasons. They simply wouldn’t make sense to those that don’t. suffice it to say, there was never any question in my mind.

I really don’t want anyone to think I’m in any kind of danger. I’m just venting here. I know some of these feelings and actions are things I should keep to myself but again, if you know me, you know I can’t. This is my sounding board. Just keep him in your thoughts kids. On the Facebook site I’ve written about lately I joined a cause for the awareness of Hepatitis C. Well, this is why. Steve has had it for a number of years now and it seems this is the result of it.

It’s just so weird to feel this way and to be in this position. This is my big brother.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kevin,

I almost know what you are going thru. I lost my dad 11 years ago to cancer, and when we found out he had cancer, it took my breath away, and he suffered 3 years with it. I never thought I would lose my dad. I will keep good thoughts for your brother and family, and of course you. Cheerish every moment you have with him. I am sure things wil be ok. Put your faith in above, and trust. I know you will get thru this difficult time. Hope your tests come up ok. Peace be with you. Rochelle

Anonymous said...

Kevin,

This is a tough one because it is not the natural order. We expect our parents to die before us, and still it is awful when it happens. However, we do not expect to lose a sibling so early.

Try to channel all of that pain and anger into constructive action. Getting involved with the group for awareness of Hep C is a great idea/example.

The best news is that he still has a good chance of living! Don't lose faith/hope.

Mark H

Anonymous said...

When someone you love so much is in pain and their health is in question, it is natural to think how it affects your life. Your brother Steve is feeling and prob. thinking similar things you are going through. That is why he has chosen you to be his confidant. You comfort him in many ways that keeps him sane so he can proceed in his everyday life. He has much work to do to figure out what his next step in treatment must be.

Kevin it is now time for your inner child to grow up and start taking control of your emotions. I know this sounds kinda rough but reality is this, a broken down brother is no good at all. It is not good for Steve and it's certainly not good for you and your family. Steve called upon you mostly because you "get" him. You have a close relationship with him, take this time to build on it.

A former post suggested that you channel your pain and anger into constructive action. This does ease the pain. Making something positive out of this bad situation will give you and your family a wonderful sense of accomplishment. You have so much to offer your brother, don't get lost in yourself.

Anonymous said...

kevin,
i feel your pain, your heart speaks to steven loud and clear.it's true, the two of you do get eachother, and it's also true that he turns to you for reasons only the two of you understand.trust me, he feels your love your comfort your fear, and most of all your honest heart.kevin, he needs all of who you are right now, even the strong side of you. steven is a very brave man, but it's so important for him to save his strenght for the battle ahead. I would hate for him to be spending it trying to help you, and the rest of us who love him get through this.
kevin, contact his children, and let them share with you all the emotions they may have at this time. if for nothing else, to let them know, that they have an uncle who is there for them....
hey, he's my older brother too, and when you scream, you're not alone.... i love you.
david

Anonymous said...

try not to worry until you really have to. Although that's hard to do, there is hope, he is here now, enjoy every day that you can talk to him, bless everyday he's alive, and then ask him everything you ever wanted to know about him. I wish I had.

Anonymous said...

It is my feeling that, you are facing somethin that is going to rock you to the core if it doesn't turn out the way we all are hoping, praying, and willing to givepart of ourselve away for. You are preparing. Guess what it doesn't mean that you have no faith, it just means you are normal. Damn Kev, he's your brother. I cry and can't breath when I think about you going through this, I have three brothers and no father so you can just imagine how I feel about them. As far as the child within, this can't touch him. Because he's too busy living in the moments that help you get through this. He's in the back seat of the car with your brother laughing and watching the wind blow, safe and happy. Please hang on. And keep screaming and singing. I'm with you. Love Hillary