Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Remember When We...

I’ve always felt that one of my better abilities is my memory. I seem to remember so much more about mine and my sibling’s youth than any of them and I always have. I use to attribute it to my obvious brilliance. Lately I’ve been thinking that there may be more to it than that.

I’m sure I’ve written before about times and events in my life that neither Karen, Steve nor David remembers nearly as well as I do. Karen seems pretty good at it and David can sometimes surprise me but Steve, well, let’s just say it aint happening. I have run into old friends of mine and my brothers and sister and will remind them of something that happened many years ago. The usual response, and it happened again last night with a friend of Karen’s, is along the lines of, “Kevin, How can you possibly remember that”? I don’t even think about it, it’s just something that plays in my head when seeing or talking to that person.

We all have triggers in our minds that go off when a sight, sound or even scent happens to hit us. For me, and I have no idea why, that trigger is constant. I’m not saying I have some kind of photographic memory or anything like that. It’s just that these people, places or events are up there and are always floating around.

I had contact with someone from high school just the other day. I asked about his brother by using the nickname we used to call him by. The response was one of shock. How could I remember that name? He said he could live to 100 and not remember that. I don’t know what to say, these are the pictures in my head.

I’ve spoken to a number folks about this memory thing and have found a common thread among those with the same, I don’t know, ability? It seems that those who are the youngest of their families happen to have the better memory among their siblings and even parents. I’ve been thinking about that for a few days and, ya know, it makes sense.

Being the youngest, I was always the one that was sent to go along with the others. I mean when mom would tell Karen or Steve to go do something they would either be asked to take me along or would bring me along for company. If it were to one of their friend’s houses I would sort of be just standing around watching and listening to whatever it was they would be doing. I don’t know if I’m explaining this as well as I want to. I was basically an observer. I think most younger siblings were put in the same boat.

I think being the youngest was an asset in that sense. I think my knowledge of all kinds of trivia is a result of being the youngest. I remember reading the newspaper at a very young age simply because I’d be home while Karen would be babysitting and having friends over. I couldn’t really hang out with her could I? I’ve written before about how I know more about nothing than anyone I know. Well, that doesn’t just happen by osmosis. When you’re the youngest you do spend a great deal of time just watching things. I just happen to have had the ability to retain a lot of what I observed.

While in high school I was blinded for a number of weeks. During that time I went about life as normally as possible. I also did little but observe then too. Again, I remember in great detail many of the things that were said or done during that period. I actually get a picture in my mind of where I was or who I was with. I think that period in time is also responsible for my remembering things as well as I do. There I was, 17 years old, blind as a bat and still living my life. What else was I going to do except observe. I also knew that this was a pivotal period in my life.

So there you have it. An explanation of my complete nerdiness when it comes to remembering my youth. I still don’t think I’m explaining it as well as I’d like but hopefully you’ll catch my drift.

No comments: