Friday, September 28, 2007

I Think I Need A Shave

I haven’t shaved my head for almost two weeks now. This is the longest it’s been in about three years. I love saying that, the longest it’s been, like I’m back in the 70’s with hair to my shoulders. I think a gerbil has longer hair than I do right now. I think the style is called male pattern baldness. It seems to be pretty popular with guys my age.

I haven’t seen my hair in quite a while. It’s really pretty weird seeing it again. It’s kind of a salt n pepper color and that’s something that will take a while to get used to. To me it feels real thick in back. I know that’s just because I haven’t felt the back of my head with hair on it for quite a while, but still, it feels thicker than it should be.

I’m not sure if I like it. I think it makes me look older but the folks here at work don’t all agree. I look around and see other guys my age with the same crown of hair and I see how they let it grow in the back and have it tied up in a ponytail. I’m really not into that look. I think it just looks like someone trying to fake their age. I used to debate dyeing my beard, which comes in grey, but it just seems so ridiculous. I sort of flip flop on this whole looking younger thing. I don’t like the idea that we have to work so hard to keep our youthful appearance. Hell, the way I act seems to keep people wondering about my age that I sometimes wonder how old I am myself.

What’s really sad is that the only reason my hair has grown at all is because I’m just too lazy to shave it. If I let it go for more than a day or two it just takes so long to shave it that I just don’t want to do it. I think my biggest fear about having it like this is the thought that people would think that I’m one of those guys who are fooling themselves about my hair. Trust me folks, I know I’m bald. I’m the youngest of three brothers and I don’t know of a conversation in our lives that didn’t entail one of them telling me I was bald or in the process of getting there.

My Father is also bald. I think he’s one of those guys that kids himself. He wears a toupee, has since I was very young. It’s always been so obvious to anyone seeing him that he’s wearing a rug that I would wonder if he knew that they knew? He’s always made sure that even when home he would keep it on just in case someone would knock on the door. All four of us kids have some great stories of Dad hiding his baldness when the piece wasn’t around. It would always make me laugh when he wasn’t wearing it, how he would put his hand on top of his head. As if that would make it so people would not know he was bald.

I will say this about my follicly challenged scalp. It really doesn’t look bad completely shaved. I don’t have any marks or bumps on my head that make me look like some kind of alien. When I do shave I use baby oil before the shave cream and it gives my skin a nice glow and boy does it tan well. I think I’ll go home and shave.

No comments: