Sunday, December 5, 2010

They're Only Thoughts

I spend a lot of my time trying to protect myself from harm. I think if you have read any of my previous posts you know what it is I’m talking about. I’ve always had a hard time making myself comfortable in pretty much any environment I find myself, no matter who I’m with or what I’m doing, out in the real world, I can literally bury myself in thoughts of self doubt so deep it’s almost certain to have a direct effect on the enjoyment of whatever I’m doing.

Lately I’ve been trying to find those “happy” places and identify them at the moment they occur. It seems that my only true comfort zone is when I’m at work. It’s got little to do with liking my job. There’s a feeling I get when doing the grocery store thing that just settles me in ways I can’t seem to find anywhere else. I was chatting with a friend the other day and tried to explain what I mean by that.

It all seems to come down to those damn expectations I work so hard at denying. When I’m at work, the expectations are set; the variables are few as there is always a solid plan that I have to follow. In real life, things are too wide open. There are too many ways to do each and every little thing. I have to be at work at a certain time. I have to perform certain functions and have a kind of map for all the tasks I have to do. There are certain ways to do this and that and, after years of practice, I’ve become pretty good at it.

Outside of work things are quite different. There’s nobody telling me what needs to be done, how to perform each task and, worst of all, this free will thing. I have too many choices and my fear of anything that requires commitment rules pretty much everything I do. Some friends and I joke about it sometimes. My first response to any question involving plans of any sort is either a quick “no” or a “let me see what’s going on” while I scramble for a way to ensure I have a valid, for me, excuse not to attend whatever it is I’m working so hard at avoiding.

It really doesn’t matter how much I’ll enjoy whatever the invite is for, I automatically switch to excuse mode. I think the problem is time. There’s always too much time between the invite and the event and I spend the duration of that time fighting within myself about wanting to do whatever it is and convincing myself that nobody really wants me there anyway. I know, that’s crazy. Why would they ask and all that other stuff. It doesn’t matter though. The thoughts are real and, as we all know, perception is reality.

No comments: