Friday, May 7, 2010

Going To California

On a plane to L.A., going to see family and maybe some friends, if I have time. That also depends on whether I have access to a car. It’ll be nice if I do but, if not, I’ll live. I’m sort of at the mercy of those that I’m staying with. That’s not a bad thing, just saying.

We’re flying above the clouds right now and it’s really nice. I guess there’s a storm under us as I can see the darkness below. Up here though, it’s remarkably bright. It’s a solid layer of clouds below and it looks like you can just walk across them to our destination.

I was fortunate enough to have enough frequent flyer miles to allow myself to fly first class and it’s been a bit of an adventure. I brought some cupcakes from a friend of mines shop, (Just Baked) so family out west could enjoy them. As I sat in my seat, I asked the stewardess if she had a place in her little cubby up front to store them safely. She explained to me that she didn’t have a Galley yet and that maybe after serving breakfast, she could put them in the fridge. I let her know that it was no big deal and I thought that was that. Before we were even moving, she asked if I’d like something to drink. I said sure, and asked for a cup of coffee. Well, she explained that she still didn’t have a Galley and that it would be put on the plane in a matter of moments. Again, no big deal. It seemed to bother her a lot more than I.

The headphone jack at my seat wasn’t working and, though I didn’t care about it, I mentioned it to the Stewardess. This was after she’d already started the movie and she was very kind about it and tried to get it going. I told her it was no big deal but she made an announcement telling the rest of the plane that she was going to reboot the system as some folks were having difficulties with their system. She did the reboot, started the movie and still, for me, no go. She’s standing over me, pushing buttons and flicking switches, all to no avail. I told her I was fine, I had my IPOD and I truly was fine. Once again, she insisted on rebooting the system, interrupting the other passengers’ movie. I, once again, let her know that it really was no big deal but she thought it necessary. She really was doing her job well and she should be commended but, my station was the only one not working and I was listening to music and reading the paper.

Needless to say, it didn’t work and she decided that it just wasn’t worth holding up the movie for others. She came and started apologizing all over herself and I asked, as she was leaving, if this had anything to do with the lack of a Galley on the plane? The woman next to me, and I, laughed a little and we thought that was the end of it.

A few minutes later, the Captain came back and started to give me a complete lesson on how the Galley would have nothing to do with the headphones not working and that they were two completely different things. I couldn’t help myself and started laughing and let him know that it was just a throw away line that the Stewardess didn’t understand and I understood how things happen and I was fine.

A couple minutes later, he came back and gave me some apology card that allows me to pick a gift from United as a way to make things up to me. I WASN’T REALLY COMPLAINING. I didn’t care. Day one is only six or seven hours old and we haven’t even landed and the adventures have already begun. I hope I get to pick something cool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

inconceivable - how funny