Sunday, February 27, 2011

He's So Empty

I can’t believe how angry I am at him right now. I’ve never been one to blame any of my problems on anyone but me. Looking at him this weekend, at times, filled me with a rage I haven’t felt before. Actually, I really didn’t feel it until I woke up this morning and knew I needed to get in the car to leave.

I’ve written a number of times about my fears of becoming like him and I realize that nobody thinks we’re anything alike. While seeing him though, it was so obvious to me how similar we are. The purest difference between us is that I’m ashamed of these traits while throughout his life he wore them as a badge of honor.

Every single quality he believes he has are the same things I abhor about myself. He spent his marriage to my Mother basically ignoring her. I was very close to the same with Shelly. We Kids always talked about how empty he was inside. How, in reality he could never have a real relationship with anyone simply because he was incapable of loving anyone. Over the last few years I’ve overcompensated so much that I practically beg for it and when presented the opportunity shut myself down so much that it seems I have no interest. I’m so afraid of the whole thing and twice as ashamed for feeling that way.

The people that like him have no idea what he’s really like simply because he has no ability to let anyone in. I’m so afraid that what you all see in me is the same act that he’s been putting on for as long as anyone can remember. It’s always show time for him and I can’t help but wonder, obviously with different personalities, if I’m just as big of a fraud as he is. I’m always questioning if I’m just putting on this open, sensitive act to ensure that I’ll always have people around.

I know, we’re all broken in one way or another. I can’t help but think that my cracks are a direct result of him. When I first saw him yesterday, as he had no idea I was coming, his first words to me were. “Oh, I thought I was gonna have a good day”. Of course, my being as plastic as he, we both laughed. I used to call him Daddy as a small child and I’m so ashamed of that. I’ve been yelling at myself all day during the drive home and I literally feel pain and exhaustion just from the whole head game. I didn’t deserve that from him. None of us did. Excuse my language but, fuck you Dad. FUCK you Dad. FUCK YOU DAD!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Despite popular belief, we don't HAVE to love our parents just because they gave us life. I have never believed we owe them anything they haven't earned. Most people call me "cold" for this attitude. I call it realistic.

LibraryGirl62 said...

I understand...

Anonymous said...

You are nothing like him! You are good, kind, sympathetic, empathetic and caring.