Thursday, September 23, 2010

An Old Post Revisited

Another sleepless night spent beating myself up over things I’m sure others would find unimportant. I just can’t seem to turn my brain off on these occasions and when my head starts sifting through thoughts, well, it’s always the bad ones that stick. I sift through the thoughts and almost everyone begins with the words, “I wish”.

One of the first posts I ever put up on the blog was titled “I Wish”. I was just rereading it and it’s pretty amazing how encompassing it is. I thought I’d reprint it here with a few updates and omissions. This is what I do when I can’t sleep and I’m feeling the world is coming down all around me. Thanks for your indulgence:


I wish I didn't make fun of that girl named Jean in Mrs. Mitchell's class in third grade.

I wish I wasn't a fat kid growing up. I'm sure my self-confidence would have been much higher throughout my twenties after I lost all that weight.

I wish Lucky would go lay down when I tell her to.

I wish Lucky knew how much good she has done for me over the last few years.

I wish my wife had never asked me why I found something funny, just let me find it funny.

I wish I could relive the month of May 1984 every month.

I wish I hadn't turned down the opportunity to dance with people that mattered.
I wish I didn't listen to certain songs over and over again when all they do is make me cry.

I wish I could explain why certain songs mean so much to me.

I wish I were better at double jeopardy. I have single whipped.

I wish I wasn't so afraid to be touched.

I wish I didn't long to be touched so badly.

I wish I were as good a singer in public as I am in my car.

I wish the television show "Freaks and Geeks" lasted longer.

I wish I still worked at the Vons on Balboa and Genesee.

I wish I liked to drink alcohol.

I wish I were a better Father.

I wish I had been a better Husband.

I wish I knew how to talk to my son.

I wish I had a belief in a higher power, for all the wrong reasons.

I wish people could understand how I don't.

I wish people didn't take their public lives so seriously, lighten up, I find it hard enough to make it through my private life.

I wish I didn't like Carly Simon's "The Carter Family" so much.

I wish I wasn't such a chick.

I wish I had the courage to backpack through Europe when I was younger.

I wish I had the courage to do it now.

I wish I had seen "Dances With Wolves" on the big screen.

I wish they would still let you go to the gate at airports to sit and wait for your party to arrive just so I could see all those emotions that I adore.

I wish it didn't cost $550 to put new tires on my car.

I wish money did grow on trees.

I wish I did have stock in the electric company.

I wish public speakers would pronounce immediately correctly, it's not ahmediately.

I wish I didn't have so much time on my hands.

I wish I didn't wear a watch. (I don’t anymore)

I wish I owned a professional baseball team. (Just to see all the games for free).

I wish I could be my friend.

I wish I could figure out why I find that so difficult.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I WISH...you loved yourself HALF as much as we all do. That being said...now shut the fuck up and stop whining!

Anonymous said...

Accept the love that others send to you so very often, and PLEASE start believing you deserve it. It will make a difference. M