Monday, November 30, 2009

It Seems They're Stuck With Me

Had my 30-year high school reunion the other night. Before I get started about the whole thing, let me say this: I did enjoy the evening, it was so much better than my fears led me to believe it would be. Those that were responsible for the planning and organizing of the soiree, as it were, should be genuinely congratulated. I spent most of the last few months doing everything I could to avoid getting involved in the setting up of this grand event and after seeing what they went through to put the event together, I know why. Remarkably hard work to ensure the joy of each and every person that showed up and I know that everyone appreciates all the hard work they did.

There were well over 100 people there and, surprisingly, I remembered more of them than I thought I would. I say surprisingly because of the number of folks that showed up, I may have spent time with about 10% of them way back when. That, right there, is what seems to be weighing me down since Saturday night.

How on earth did I get so jaded?

So I’m at the reunion and seeing and talking to so many people that I had only dreamed of associating with all those years ago and the things they’re saying to me are the things I so longed to hear back then. I’ve always been totally convinced that many of these people thought me nothing more than one of those burnouts that was, at best, apathetic about anything that had to do with school.

I regret so much the fact that I never even attempted becoming more involved in school activities. I was casually friendly with a number of the kids that were, but never spent any time even getting to know them, nor did I allow them the opportunity to know me. I always figured they didn’t want to. Hell, back then; I didn’t want to know me.

Since coming back to Michigan I’ve been so fortunate to not only renew and grow those past acquaintances but have literally been introduced to those I never even spoke to back then and have found these people to be such wonderfully warm individuals that I’m made somewhat sadder realizing what I’ve been missing in them for all these years.

Well, there is a fix and I plan on spending the rest of my days ensuring that cure is successful. I’m not going anywhere. I’ve charged myself with a mission, that mission being to make sure those regrets are no more. I’ve said it before and yes, it’s so corny but it’s true. I am so in love with these people and everything they have to offer and I plan on bathing myself in that love till they simply can’t stand it anymore. Once that happens, I’ll just love them all a wee bit more.

2 comments:

LibraryGirl62 said...

I am proud of you :>

Anonymous said...

Thanks for leading me back to your blog. It was so nice to see you and chat at the gathering. It is truly amazing what facebook has done, just unbelievable! I'm so thankful for technology! last year I was really nervous about going, this year not so much. In fact it was so crowded i regret not seeing so many people. Hopefully, there's always next year.
Thanks for your warm welcome and comfy lap!
xxoo randee