Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Taking Stock Again

It really has been an amazing couple of weeks. Steve went home the other day, which is quite an incredible thing when you think about it. With that comes a whole new set of thoughts and emotions. It’s a little strange to believe that he’s well enough to head home less than two weeks after getting a new liver. I’ve spoken to him a number of times since the surgery and he sounds better each time. It’s quite comforting to know that he’ll be home and presumably falling back into his life as more time allows more healing.

We’ve all heard the saying that life is short and this whole episode with Steve has really given that phrase new meaning to me. I’ve spent a lot of my time just looking back at who and what I’ve become after 48 years of never really trying to do anything. I can say that with less effort than any of you could imagine I’ve led, at the very least, a halfway decent life. I’ve lived in some of the more decent parts of this country, traveled to Australia, all over the Caribbean and all over this land of ours.

I’ve been married to and divorced from a woman who, at least I think, still cares a great deal about me. Helped raise three kids that I adore and have never really shown them how much and have a granddaughter that I’ve yet to see in person. I’ve got siblings that have never failed, in their own ways, to let me know how much they care and a mother who is simply the definition of the term unconditional love. My father, on the other hand, well, that’s a whole new post. My Mother in Law has never let me forget how much she cares, as have numerous other relatives. For all I’ve mentioned so far, I’m incredibly grateful.

Over the last year or so I’ve found I’ve got more friends than one should be allowed. For reasons I’ll never understand they each, in their own ways, have decided to allow me and my stunted life into theirs and seemed to have welcomed me with open arms. Yeah, I know, I’m putting too much thought into it but it kind of freaks me out. You know, what do they see that I don’t? It really doesn’t matter though because they seem to be in it for the duration and trust me, that’s a good thing.

So, it would seem, I’ve led quite the charmed life. On many levels this is true. Well then, why am I so miserable? Why is it that the only person I know that truly doesn’t like me is me? I’ve been looking for that answer for as long as I can remember and wish more than you’ll ever know that I could just stop thinking about it. Well, I can’t and don’t see myself ever being able to. That being said, I’ve spent my entire adult life, except for the time I was married, just trying to make myself fit into whatever my living situation has been. I’ve come to the conclusion that these thoughts and feelings simply aren’t going to go away. Not being one that would ever do anything to hurt those that care about me, please know that doing anything to possibly hurt myself or worse isn’t and has never been an option. What is an option is to find that “happy place” that I’ve spoken about and just live the rest of my life and hope to just settle into the most comfortable mind set I can.

There are a couple options out there and I’m looking very carefully at each and hope to have somehow decided what I’m going to do in the next couple weeks. Since being miserable seems to be a constant, I may as well find a place that I can be miserable yet, I don’t know, comfortable. I’m just not sure. Once again, I’ve got a lot to think about and to all my friends and family, please try to understand whatever decision it is I make. Your support has always helped me get through each day and I hope that continues throughout this journey.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think its the shiny dome. You look in the mirror, and see that, and go negative. Grow some hair!

Mark H

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'd love to hear about those options!
Karen

Anonymous said...

It just makes me really sad to the point of tears the way you feel about yourself. I think you should go sky diving with Mark so you know what scared shitless really means.
Al

Anonymous said...

Does this mean you'll be moving away from here? You'll leave your beautiful home to your daughter, her boyfriend and your nephew...? GREAT idea dipstick! I hope you realize as you fill your home with those who not only depend on you but love you, for the messed up beautiful disaster that you are-- and so fondly-- the one we call "UK"! I've gotten used to having you around, even if we don't get together as much as we'd like, don't go too far. We just want you happy and we'll support you where ever you are and what ever you decide to do! Love you big guy!

Love "the neice", Jodie Unk
And this goes for Mikey too!

Anonymous said...

When you don't know about something, What can you do about it? Nada!
We make the best choices possible all the time with what know about. The trouble is, we have been conditioned for so many years, that we only know this same way of doing things.
Here is a good place to start. Stop the incessant whining. Combined with taking action to find out why you turned out the way you did is another. The access to this information, plus incites on what you can do about it are available through The Landmark Forum.
I sent you an invite through Facebook for Thursday's classroom in Livonia. I look forward to seeing you there with some friends. Looks like Bobby may be coming. Maybe you could ride together.
Mark Blondy

Anonymous said...

you're in control of your own mind, thoughts. if you think you are, you are, if you think your not your not. you choose. if you think you can't oyu won't.... it works like that. nk

David Porter said...

Dude,

I think you could start by changing the name of your blog!

The incessant whining of a short, fat, bald guy?

Come on!

Instead of whining, how about...oh...A Quest for Joy? or Looking to plug the whole in my heart? or A Journey for my life's purpose? or How about your Jewish heritage...Perhaps...Longing for Messiah?

As long as you continue allowing yourself to be characterized by whining....how would your life get better?

If I may be so bold, stop whining and start looking for the answers in earnest.

Nothing is gained by sitting on our butt and whining, except for looking for sympathy.

I have no sympathy for you dude, you are a bright guy!

Get up! Dust yourself off!

Start all over again! Change the name of your blog, and start looking for your joy!

I sure hope you take this in the spirit it was intended?

Well..did you?

Janet Sitchin said...

Kevin:

It's funny that I a) blogged myself for the first time in ages and then b) go caught up with the latest entries from your blog and saw this one.

My entry is on perception - including self-perception -- and attitude. You have to learn to appreciate yourself, trust yourself, and realize that you may not be perfect, but you are perfectly fine.

Jan Sitchin