Thursday, November 6, 2008

One Step Up And Two Steps Back

Ok, step one is complete. We have elected a Democrat to the highest office in the land. My side won but that alone isn’t enough. I have a concern about the direction the country is heading simply by looking at some of the ballot initiatives voted on in each state.

First, I’d like to congratulate the state of Michigan. Voting yes on both the medical marijuana and stem cell bills is something to be quite proud of. On the other hand there were three or four states that had a measure to ban gay marriage on their ballots and all of them passed. Arkansas passed a bill to ban gay couples from adopting children.

On the one hand it would seem we’ve made tremendous strides. The idea of electing a black man is something I think most of us can admit we never thought we’d see in our lifetimes. Kudos goes out to the entire nation for breaking through this long-standing barrier to progression.

On the other hand, the majority of the people that voted in the states of Arizona, California, Arkansas and Florida still feel the need to deny citizens rights that, to me at least, seem as basic as they get. I’m quite sure that if asked, most of those that voted against these bills would give some sort of biblical reason as to why they chose to vote that way. I don’t even want to go into my thoughts on that. Oh alright, I will, just a little though because I’ve said it so many times before.

The idea that the people of this, or any, country place their religious beliefs before the rights and freedoms of its citizens should scare every single one of us. This, my friends, is the real glass ceiling we must break through before any of us can consider the results of this, or any, election a victory for the people. Is their anybody out there that still thinks that people choose to be gay? Well, I guess so. Just look at the results of Tuesdays vote. Absolutely ridiculous.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

VERY nice! Especially from a straight ally. Thanks for sending me this link to read your important words!!

Warmly, Joe Kort