Thursday, July 24, 2008

Totally Tubular

The first time I saw “The Tubes” was, quite by accident, at the Del Mar Fair in July of 1983. I was at the fair with a couple of my roommates at the time and there was a concert so we decided to stay. At the time the band had recently put out what would become their most popular album and the single “She’s A Beauty” was just starting to get airplay on MTV.

What I saw, to put it mildly, restored my faith in Rock n Roll. I’d heard a few of their songs before but this was something I truly wasn’t prepared for. These guys were all over the stage. There were “Rockette” like dancers, monsters, jungle tribesman and so much more. The lead singer, Fee Waybill, changed costumes for each song and was actually near naked a number of times.

I went home from the show and proceeded to buy a number of “Tubes” albums and really got into them. When I was in Michigan in the summer of ’84 I saw them again at the Royal Oak Theater. Another great show and I just plain couldn’t believe how much I enjoyed these guys. I saw them again in Los Angeles with my friend Ed in the summer of ’85 in what turned out to be their last live appearance in 10 years. The concert in L.A. was even more special to me because the back up band was “Utopia”, the band fronted by one of my musical heroes, Todd Rundgren.

In the mid 90’s, as I was on my way home from work, I heard on the radio that the band was playing at some bar in San Diego. I got home a little after 2 in the morning and crawled into bed and woke Shelly up to tell her about the show. God forbid I wait the three or four hours for her to wake up, I had to tell her right then. We went to the show with my friend Mary and her husband Glenn. This was the first time I’d seen them without all the theatrics and they were great. Just straight out rock and we all had a great time

I’ve seen them a number of times since then. Once, with the whole family, at a corn festival in Brentwood California, and since the divorce, a bunch of times at bars and fairs around the country. I’ve never felt cheated when I’ve seen them.

I’m going down to the Detroit area tomorrow to see them at a festval in St. Claire Shores and I can’t believe how excited I am. It’s a no seat arrangement and I’m hoping I can get right up near the stage. You just plain haven’t lived until you’ve seen Fee’s alter ego Quay Lude perform “White Punks On Dope’ and tomorrow I’m gonna live one more time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We just got home from 4 days of beach camping at San Onofre. We took a drive through my semi-hometown of San Clemente, where I told Glenn it makes me think of The Tubes "White Punks On Dope". Then I said "remember when we saw them with Kevin and Shelly?" We remembered what a great time we had. I got home this afternoon and got chills when I read your blog. How weird! Hugs, Mary and Glenn

LibraryGirl62 said...

For someone who claims he is not social and never chooses to do much, you are being quite the adventurer lately(and with such a past) So dark and mysterious....You go SFBG :)