Monday, June 30, 2008

Question After Question

David called tonight and told me that Dad was diagnosed with Prostate cancer. Dad called about twenty minutes later and we talked for a while about what was going on and I tried to get some answers to the obvious questions. The problem with Dad though is that it’s near impossible to get any of those questions answered.

Earlier today I had made arrangements with his girlfriend to go to Chicago over the weekend to surprise him for his birthday. Kind of adds a little to the concept now though doesn’t it.

My brother Steve was diagnosed with Hepatitis C a number of years ago and he was just recently dropped from a clinical trial program because it wasn’t working for him.

I’ve got the same type of questions about Steve that I do with Dad and they don’t seem to be able to be answered either but that’s because nobody has the answers for him.

I’ve always had a real hard time wrapping my head around Steve’s issues and he and I have a good enough relationship that we can joke about his disease. Not too sure about my relationship with Dad though. That’s a whole different type of thing to grasp.

Boy, I’ve got some thinking to do. I’ve got a million things rolling around upstairs and my adrenalin is soaring. I hope I can shut it down some so I can think about it clearly tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Kev. Hopefully it is in the early stages and can be managed with medication. Cancer is a despicable disease I think because of the fear it evokes upon hearing someone you love has it. I will be thinking of you, your brothers and sister and of course Phil and praying for the best outcome possible. Hugs, mar