Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Sun Comes Out

Those that live in warm climates really won’t understand what I’m saying here but, it’s 7:45 in the morning, about 60 degrees out and I’m on my balcony listening to the radio, reading a couple newspapers online and the greatest part of all, I’m wearing my flip flops. I guess not understanding is the wrong choice of words. Appreciate, yeah, that fits.

I’m kind of afraid to make this statement, being in Michigan and all, but I think the cold is finally gone. As I say that I half expect a sudden snowstorm to blanket my community. That’s the thing about living here, you never really know. I remember being in Junior High and High School and having snow days in mid April. Hell, I remember last July, when I first arrived here, it was 43 degrees on the first morning I was in the house.

My balcony faces directly east and I get a straight shot from the sun until about 11 every morning when it’s not cloudy. Today is a perfect day for being out here. There is no way I can adequately describe the feelin I get when the sun is on my face. The warmth does me so much good, it’s more than fantastic. I think blissful would be a good way of describing it. I could close my eyes right now and just feel complete content.

Being up here gives me a great view of the community I’m in. The first couple of phases of the development are just out in the distance and there is a row of houses across the street. Behind those houses is a pond that Lucky really wants to go into. She got there once when she got out and she was such a mess after, it was so disgusting. Anyway, the pond looks real nice from up here.

Since the front of the house faces east it goes to reason that the back gets the sun the rest of the day. I like the idea of the deck off the back door. I have my bbq and patio set on it and there is still plenty of room for me to sit out there to get some sun. I get it from about 1:00 in the afternoon until sunset back there. I tie Lucky’s leash to one of the posts and she goes and lies on the lawn while I stretch out in a lawn chair on the deck and catch the rays. I’m not sure how much the neighbors like it, I’m not a handsome man and when I take my shirt off back there I’m sure they have a hard time grilling up there dinner but this is still America and I’m not breaking any laws.

It’s really impressive how much the sun changes people. You see a lot more smiles on faces. Driving around the campus with the trees turning green and the streets full of students walking around is a real pleasant sight to see. It kind of gives you hope. Hope that the snow is gone and we’re in for a few months of warmth and sunshine. Up here spring, summer and the sun that comes with it are like friends you haven’t seen in a while.
Hello old friend, how have you been? I’ve missed you, now; do that voodoo that you do so very, very well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's supposed to snow on Monday.

Anonymous said...

Where are you??? I live 2 blocks away from you and my computer says it's 45 degrees out!!! I'm freezing!!!
Luv U anyway. M