Thursday, April 17, 2008

All Or Nothing, Nothing In Between

I really think that old age is getting to me. Physically, it’s been showing for quite a while. Now, however, I’m starting to feel the effects mentally.

I don’t know exactly what you’d call it but my short-term memory is shot. For the last two or three weeks I can’t seem to remember anything that people tell me or show me at all. I mean it. It’s so embarrassing. I can’t seem to remember any plans I make and I constantly have the feeling that I’m missing something. Even when people ask me about future plans I have to hesitate because in the back of my mind I think I have made other commitments.

I take a pill everyday for heartburn. It’s a prescription. I even have one of those pill containers for each day of the week. I usually forget to fill it and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve lost track of whether I’ve taken the pill or not. The only way I can tell is when I’m awakened in the middle of the night with major heartburn like tonight. Oh, sure, I’ll take a pill now but it’s 1:30 in the morning and it takes an hour or so for the pill to work.

One suggestion I’ll surely get is to start writing things down. There is no way I could write down all the things I see or talk about every day. Besides, this came on so suddenly it really kind of scares me. I’ve always been one to remember everything. It’s always been a kind of source of pride. My memory has always been there for me to rely on and it’s not something I feel I can afford to lose, even partially.

I know that this could very easily be chalked up to getting older but I just don’t think that type of loss happens so fast. If it does, I hope it goes completely. I think the worst part of this is knowing. I have written in the past about mental illness and how horrible it must be if you know you suffer from it. Well, that’s my fear here. I don’t want to know about it. If I lose my memory at all, I want to lose all of it. I hate the way I’ve been feeling lately when I think I’m forgetting something. I literally feel like I’m going crazy. And this is the first time that’s ever bothered me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kevin - did it ever occur to you that perhaps the reason you may be forgetting items is because you have so much on your mind? Sometimes we clutter our minds with worry, stress, thoughts, ideas etc., and before you know it, you can't remember a darn thing! Trust me, you are not going crazy! We love you.
Karen