Sunday, March 30, 2008

Can You Feel It?

It’s here… this has got to be the most wonderful weekend of the year. We’ve got the “elite 8” starting Saturday evening and Opening day, at least in this hemisphere, on Sunday night. The Tigers open at home on Monday and with a televised day game on Wednesday when I’m off I’m sitting rather comfortably right about now. The only thing that could be better would be if the final four were this weekend instead of next.

This is easily my favorite time to be a sports fan. I’ve mentioned my dream of attending an N.C.A.A. final four in a few other posts and if you don’t yet know my adoration for the game of baseball, well, you just plain haven’t been paying attention. Just to clarify: Baseball and “The Beatles” are the only two things in this world that allow me to remotely believe there may be a living God.

I’m looking at E.S.P.N’s schedule for tonight and tomorrow along with the television schedule for the “Tigers” and starting at 7:00 tonight, there is more than 18 hours of baseball scheduled in the next 27 or so hours. I’m shaking just thinking about it. How can I be this depressed person I am when the greatest gift I could possibly receive is being handed to me on a proverbial silver platter called cable television.

Do you realize that for the next six months or so I will have, at minimum, three hours, each and every day, of pure bliss? Who can possibly match that in their own lives?

Oh of course there will be down days. What am I to do on an off day, or the all-star break? Dammit, now I’m starting to get bummed about that. I’m gonna need to check the schedule and see if I can find things to do on those almost criminal days when there is no game on to watch. Geez, I might even have to make friends and make plans to go out and crap like that. Ewww.

No comments: