Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Baby It's Cold Outside

I woke up this morning and, as usual, Lucky was needing to go out so I got up and put on the winter coat, hat and gloves and got the leash. It was just after six and before going out I checked the temperature outside. It was three. Did you hear me? THREE. For reasons I will never understand I decided to actually walk her around the neighborhood instead of the normal standing on the deck while she does her business.

As we started out the garage I think she kind of sensed that we might actually be going for a walk instead of the norm. Usually when we go out the garage it’s because there’s too much snow on the deck. She’ll normally make a sharp left to get on the lawn in the backyard. This time she went straight out towards the street and was ready to go. Weird how animals can pick that kind of stuff up.

I had my jacket zipped up so that the collar went up high enough to cover my nose and the only part of me that was visible to the cold were my eyes. Lucky, of course, had her fur to cover up with.

I don’t know how anyone can give proper perspective in words just what three degrees before the wind chill feels like. I was afraid the water in my eyes would freeze. It’s been many years since I’ve been in this kind of weather and I’m glad I’m old so I’m not tempted to go out and mess around in it like I did when I was younger.

Anyway, Lucky starts going down the street towards the lots that don’t have homes on them and I’m just walking along behind her. As we approached the empty lots Lucky went into the field and started her normal sniffing around while I just stood there and shivered. Did I mention that it was three degrees?

I got lost in my thoughts, just staring at my feet while doing what I could to keep the blood in my veins from freezing when I came to my senses and decided we’d had enough and it was time to go home. I called Lucky while looking up and saw her not three feet from me, lying in the snow. Did I mention that it was three degrees?

I yelled for her to get up and, for those of you that know her, you’ll know what comes next. She rolled over onto her back and put her legs in the air like she was home sleeping. She doesn’t take to loud voices very well and, when she perceives that someone is mad at her, she basically curls up and doesn’t move.

So there I am, dressed like an Eskimo, trying to get my dog to get up so I can get back inside. I ended up dragging her a foot or so until she decided to get up and walk with me. I know that sounds cruel but she was fine and with her major intelligence she forgot about it as soon as she got up. I did mention the three degree thing didn’t I?

2 comments:

LibraryGirl62 said...

Miss Florida???? :)
Feel free to cuss at me now!!

Anonymous said...

Kev, I can't even imagine what three degree weather is like...I really don't want to ever find out! You've just got to train Lucky to use a litter box! Have you bought her snow boots yet? Brrr, that's cold!!! Love, Mimi