Friday, July 3, 2009

Pop Music On A Holiday Weekend

Fourth of July weekend and except for the year I worked for my sister it’s the first time I’ve got the three day weekend off. Retail does that to people. I’m sort of at a loss at what to do. I need to work on getting more of my stuff down to the new condo but can’t procure a truck this weekend. Well, I probably could but who in their right mind would want to help move furniture at this time. So, I’ll make a few trips down with my car loaded to the gill. I’ll make sure to take down a couple pillows and blankets and I may even sleep there, on the floor, tonight. I’ll bring Lucky down too so Ryan won’t have to get her out and make sure she’s got water and stuff like that.

I am a tad on the excited side this morning. They have this gig down in Detroit each year called Citifest or something like that and there’s live music and food and stuff. I think that’s the technical term, stuff. Anyway, I’m really pretty much over the rainbow about going tonight, See, there are three musical acts I’ve followed for years and pretty much drive wherever I have to, within reason, to see them. The Tubes, Barenaked Ladies and Todd Rundgren. Well, Rundgren is one of the acts on the bill tonight and guess where I’ll be this evening at 9:00.

I was introduced to Todd at around the age of 12. Tina, a friend of a friend back then was a huge fan and she would always be at this friend’s house and would be playing his “Something Anything” album. It’s the album with the song everybody and their mother knows, “Hello It’s Me”. Being the sap for love songs that I’ve always been and as stated numerous times on this blog, a major pop music fan, this album fit right up my alley. I don’t know if Tina would admit it but she was a big pop fan too. The other songs we were listening to at her behest were, “ Go All The Way” and “ I Wanna Be With You” by the Raspberries, “Roll Away The Stone”, and “The Golden Age Of Rock N Roll” by Mott The Hoople and the Sgt. Pepper album. All still music that satisfies my pop cravings on a regular basis.

People are regularly surprised when they see what’s on my ipod or cd’s that I have. Nobody would think I would have songs by “The Cure” for instance. Have you ever heard their songs “Friday I’m In Love” or “Just Like Heaven”? Pop at it’s finest. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t quite get most of the stuff they put out but those two songs, well, they simply do it for me. I’m looking at my playlist that I have hooked up to my blog and see so many examples of what I’m talking about. Mostly songs that tell a story and allow you to tap your toe to at the same time. Now, turn that into a love song and I’m like Homer Simpson when he sees a can of Duff beer

That’s what attracts me to Rundgren’s music. He’s a master of pop and can bring tears to the eyes of the most stoic of people while making them tap their feet to the tune. It really surprises me that he hasn’t had more hits than he has. The album I spoke of at the top is just loaded with pop ditties and whenever anyone I know hears them they like the songs. When asked if they have the album the answer is invariably no. With the ability to download songs instead of whole albums I think many are doing that when they hear the songs.

A few suggestions, besides, “Hello It’s Me”: “I Saw The Light”, “It Wouldn’t Have Made Any Difference” and “Couldn’t I Just Tell You”. All three are from the “Something Anything” album. I can promise you, if you are a pop fan at all, you’ll thank me for the suggestions.

So, I’ll start packing the car up in a few, leave some room for my best gal Lucky and head down to the metro area. If you happen to be in the area tonight, head on down to the show. You may even see me. You’ll know it’s me when you see the light in my eyes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep writing!

Mark H