Sunday, October 5, 2008

Jodie Gets Married

I went to my nieces wedding last Friday night. Jodie is my sister’s middle child. She has an older sister, Kori, and a younger brother, Ryan. Either due to my lack of maturity, or their more mature nature, I’m certainly not considered your average uncle. That being said, I’m more along the line of their friend instead of their mother’s brother. They don’t call me Uncle unless talking about me, or introducing me to others.

Of the three kids I’ve always felt that Jodie and I were closer than I am with the others and I think she feels the same. That in no way means that I have any kind of problem with the other two and I don’t believe they have any bad feelings towards me. I get along wonderfully with all three but there’s always been a more, I don’t know, friend like relationship with Jodie. Even when she was a little girl and I’d be around she would always just come up to me and hop up on my lap or lay down on top of me when I would be on the floor watching television. Since I’ve been back in town we go to movies or out to eat or just out screwing around and talking. She knows that she can talk to me about anything and I’ve always been very proud of that.

Jodie’s appeared in a few of my previous posts as has her new husband Mike. I also consider Mike a friend and think he feels the same. I often, well not often but sometimes, go out for a drink with him and have done a few other things with him. As a matter of fact, Mike is the guy that I went to that racecar-driving thing with that I wrote about in a previous post.

Anyway, the wedding was at one of the local country clubs around here and it was very nice. The ceremony was held outdoors and the weather was perfect. The wedding party all looked great as they came down the aisle and Jodie looked like the royalty she’s aspired to since the day she was born.

It’s quite normal for me to get all-emotional at weddings and this day was no exception. It’s kind of nice being alone at these events as I can tear up and nobody else can see. I felt a little better about myself when I looked at Mike as he awaited Jodie’s walk down the aisle. I could see his eyes were just as wet as mine. It certainly wouldn’t have taken much to make him lose it completely and I’m glad he had the strength to reign it all in. Mike’s told me on numerous occasions how much he loves Jodie and seeing his face as she was walking towards him could leave no doubt in anyone’s mind. It was quite obvious that he had been waiting for this moment for just as long as Jodie had.

I can’t tell you how proud I am of both of these kids. Not only are they my niece and (new) nephew. They are both good friends. What better way to spend a day than to watch two of your favorite people make the commitment to spend the rest of their lives together?

Well, I took them both to the airport yesterday for their honeymoon and I truly hope they have the time of their young lives. I can only leave them with one wish and that is to hold each other close no matter how far apart you may seem to be. Also remember that UK (that’s what they call me sometimes) is here for you both at any time as are numerous others for anything you guys may need.

You’ve got a bumpy road in front of you both but they are bumps that are made much easier to go over if you start from the premise of just plain being nice to each other. I think that, for me, is the best yet simplest advice I can give you. Be nice to each other. It’ll give you such a head start on anything you ever do together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

can u adopt me??? oh wait it's way to late for that. I think they are very lucky (hi Lucky) to have you as a friend and a family member. I'd have to admit, if I were at the wedding, I'd be watching you and laughing. Good Luck guys, he's right you know.

Anonymous said...

Thank you UK, I just read it, I'm catching up on some posts since I've returned back from Hawaii, this was beautiful, and yes, you are my friend before my uncle, I think that's the way we were intended to be. Have you written about the dance when I was little? Great story! I'm so happy you are live here now and found a new job, this is right where you belong! Don't try to leave us again!