Saturday, November 24, 2007

The First Snow

Thanksgiving 2007 and I just woke up. I’d had a feeling we might get snow as the weather had said it was a possibility. I got out of bed and walked to the window and took a peek through the blinds and there it was. It’s only about an inch or so but it’s there.

I thought I’d be down about seeing it and I’d start grumping about everything but this is OK. I took Lucky out back and, of course, she was completely baffled. She had lost all the familiar smells she had laid down throughout the entire back yard and she seemed kind of lost. She walked around a bit and started to come back on the deck to get back inside but I made her go back
down so she just walked around in it a little.

I grabbed my camera and took a few pictures of her out there. They aren’t that good, she kept her nose in the snow looking for something she’d left there before. I then went to the front yard and walked across the street and took one of the house and a couple of the neighborhood with its first white blanket of the year. It looks pretty nice but that’s before the business of the day has done its damage.

The area I live in has a lot of open space with a great many Pine trees and it’s really nice to drive around and see it. It’s like the post cards that you see with winter scenes in them. The trees are all shapes and sizes and it’s left pretty much untouched.

Tonight the temperature is supposed to get into the high teens. While that’s not an experience I’m looking forward to I guess it goes with the territory. I’m certainly not used to the idea of getting all bundled up to go outside. My sister had me try on a really nice jacket that someone had left at the office at a Christmas party a couple years ago and it fit like a glove. It keeps me pretty warm but I still need a hat to cover my head. No hair really does make a difference.

No comments: